This expanded edition of Slow Thinking – Upswing’s series of collective, free, online conversations for the circus sector – featured Circus Snapshot and took place on 29 July 2020.
A group of freelance circus artists, educators, producers, directors, technicians and freelancers working for circus organisations interested in the future of contemporary circus gathered for this free event. We explored the full Circus Snapshot findings here.
Circus Snapshot is a qualitative research project which was completed prior to the March 2020 lockdown. Commissioned by Crying Out Loud, funded by Arts Council England and led by Daisy Drury, it drew together the professional, subsidised circus sector to create new pathways for its development.
During this Slow Thinking session, we split into groups, each hosted by a member of the circus sector, to discus specific Missions of which 7 arose from the Circus Snapshot findings.
The 7 Circus Snapshot Missions are:
- Build the reputation of circus
- Establish a national database
- Create a national programme of residencies and development opportunities
- Create a collaborative touring network
- Plan and deliver a range of networking and showcase events
- Design and deliver a sector wide diversity action plan
- Link and collaborate with the youth circus sector and those working in circus education.
We added an additional breakout group entitled Wild Card.