We are seeking an experienced, freelance, music leader to work with seven brass bands around the country and support the development of a bespoke creative collaboration between them and French theatre company Circa Tsuica.
- Contract terms: part time with a fixed fee of £4,200 (project travel expenses not included)
- Working with: the Crying Out Loud team
- Where: we are based at Somerset House, the work can be done remotely and will require travelling in the UK
- When: October 2017 with final activities during a touring period June – September 2018
To celebrate the 250th anniversary of the first ever circus ring, Crying Out Loud is, in summer 2018 presenting three ambitious outdoor collaborations that provide opportunities for emerging and established artists to experiment with and expand the contemporary circus form. The intention is to effect a step change within circus practice through unusual partnerships and create culturally relevant shows celebrating the primacy of the live event as a shared experience.
One of these collaborations is with Circa Tsuica from France. We plan to tour their big top show Now or Never, where eleven musical acrobats celebrate the joy of people coming together with food, live music and circus to seven different locations in the UK The company will work with one (and occasionally two) local amateur brass bands at each location who will form an integral part of this community event.
We have previously toured a smaller show by Circa Tsuica, Opus 7, where they worked with local brass bands (including jazz bands and youth bands) and this has started some early relationships on which to build. One of our objectives is to inspire the UK brass band sector, with its strong concert history, on ways that it can extend its practice by working with French artists who are both musicians and circus artists.
We are looking for an experienced, freelance, music leader to lead our relationships with the participating brass bands around the country and support the development of a bespoke creative collaboration between them and the French company at each location. There is a small budget of £1,000 per venue that can support advance workshops (including fees, travel and accommodation for one of the French musicians). Circa Tsuica have their own musical and performative style and the bands will be encouraged to learn this in order to contribute to the main show. They may also have the opportunity to perform their own work before the show. The budget also needs to support the incidental costs of the bands participation (travel and food).
- Knowledge of brass band scene in England and North Wales
- Experience in supporting and developing music performance projects
- Capacity to travel to meet local bands
- Understanding of charities / arts organisation
- Excellent administrative, organisational and time management skills
- Computer literacy and familiarity with Macs
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Well-organised and reliable
- Friendly, professional manner
- Able to work on own initiative
- Able to speak French
- Knowledge of, and enthusiasm for the work of Crying Out Loud
If interested, please send a CV and cover letter explaining how you would approach this role to Axel[at]cryingoutloud.org by midday on Monday 2 October 2017 (interviews on 5 October). Please contact Axel if you have questions prior to your submission.